Friday, July 4, 2008

The Journey

OK it is 1:30 AM! Ever since I have gotten back from Portland, Oregon I just have not been tired until about 2 AM. I was reading every one's latest blogs and they all just made me really think about a great deal of things. Plus I tend to get more philosophical and think about things more this late at night.

I have been thinking a lot here recently about this journey of life. Seriously, what are we all doing here? I have to admit I love this world and probably love the things about it to much at times. Am I really doing the will of God in my life? The teachings of the New Testament are very clear about our relationship with the world (Romans 12:1-2; James 4:4; I John 2:15-17 - just a few). I know we cannot just crawl in a hole and leave the world completely, there is a medium where we can live in this world but give our entire life to God. The problem I see and struggle with myself is the world is like a black hole, it just keeps sucking you in until something happens and you realize your mistake and struggle to crawl out. I know God does not give us any temptation that we can not handle and even provides a way of escape. I believe that escape to be Christ. But have you ever gotten to that point where you just wonder why? Yet, you push forward only to find a glimmer of light ahead.

OK so I'm just rambling but sometimes I get so crazy thinking about all those people who are lost and what have I done to try to save them. Some might say, "God does not expect us to talk to every single person we meet." However, is not this what the disciples and apostles did in the first century. Do we really even care about the people we see everyday who are going to hell?? Why does it not hit us in the gut and cause of to groan and put forth a stronger effort? Hey I'll be the first to admit that I do not like going up to strangers and talking about God. Why? Very simply put - FEAR and yet a part of me is torn between caring and not caring.

Then there are our personnel demons we all struggle with everyday. As my wife's blog is titled, "Mad World." It comes from the song off Donnie Darko (never heard of the movie), just like the song. We do live in a mad world and man can it reek havoc on our spiritual lives. In the five years I have been at Munford, I have seen more families leave the church than I can count on my hands and feet (that would include all the area Church's not just Munford). We question why they would do such a thing, especially if they know the truth. Yet, until we walk in their shows can we really understand their thinking. I know, I have wanted to throw my hands in the air and say I'm done. How much can you take of fake Christians? I mean when people walk around calling themselves Christians and yet they cannot even make it to all the services (understanding there are situations that may keep us every now and then). Even those who come all the time and fill the pew yet, try to get them to do something and it is like you just ask them to jump off a cliff! I am sorry but I sometimes question why do we continue to do it? Oh, I know the answer and it is the reason I am still here.

I started this talking about a journey-the journey of life. Everyday for a Christian is a journey because we never really know what the day holds for our spiritual life. If you are a Christian where has your journey taken you? Have you grown from your journeys or are you still the same as the day you were baptized? Unfortunately, I should be more spiritually mature than what I am, because I know I do not put the effort into my spiritual life that I should. I am not exactly sure why I wrote this blog other than I guess to vent, confess or simple just because...! I would be interested in knowing what some of you think. While I have given a negative impression, do not be mistaken, I firmly believe that we must remain faithful to the Lord and serve him all the days of our life. It is just the living part that can be hard.

2 comments:

Teale said...

This was a great post and I completely agree with you on everything. I think that there are always going to be times where we want to just throw our hands up in the air, but it never fails that something always happens to remind me why I'm a Christian in the first place.

Chad said...

By the way, that was me not Teale. I just realized I was signed into her account.