Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Catch Up Game.

For all those out there who will ever read this, I just wanted to give everyone an update on our family.

My wife Sara and I have now been married for 10 years (actually tomorrow). Several years ago we decided to do foster care. Shortly after we were approved and finished our classes we had a little girl, Alyssa (she's in the pictures), placed with us. She lived with us for about a year and then was placed with her grandparents and lives with them to this day. We have seen her a few times when her grandmother has brought her to our church. You can probably read more about her time with us on Sara's blog (mullenixfamily.blogspot.com). We were child free for about 9 months and about three months ago we had two children placed with us, Jeff and Anne (their in the pictures too). Jeff is 8 and Anne is 6 and they are a mess. Jeff has High Functioning Autism so it has been difficult at times adjusting to the difference in behavior. They are great children and very well behaved. The said thing is being a part of these children's lives and seeing them visit with their parents and the confusion it creates for them.

There have been some things that we have had to get used to. Probably the two biggest are:
1. The schedule of these kids is crazy. They visit their parents ever other week for two hours and on different days in the week because their mom and dad are not together, so mom in on Tuesdays and Dad is on Thursdays. On the off week they have therapy with is usually about 1 to 2 hours. Right now all of it has been taking place after school so when summer hits it will not be that bad. This is in addition to all the doctor's visits (primarily Jeff) and the dentist visits. The dentist has been the most because their mother let their teeth rot and not they have to be put to sleep to have oral surgery it is so bad.
2. Second thing has been the fact that in foster care we can not use corporal punishment (no kind, shape or form of spanking). At first we had to invent new ways to punish children. It is amazing how affective other forms of punishment can be. I am not against spanking but if I had my own child I would save the spankings for things where I need to really get their attention otherwise there are betters ways for most things.

Well as for Sara and I we are doing great and I have to say she is just the most awesome woman in the world. She puts up with a lot of stuff (including me). She is so supportive of my work with the church and trust me it can drive you crazy. I keep everyone posted on the kids as time goes on.

No comments: