Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Lawyer

Okay, as if things couldn't get any stranger..........Let me back track. Anne and Jeffrey's (the children in our custody) mother had this lawyer. She was aweful, for us - great for their mother. I personally do not know how people become defense lawyers to begin with. I do understand some are innocent but for the most part you cannot pick and choose and most are guilty. Well, this lawyer comes into court guns ablazing. Going to sue this person and that person to get these kids back. Dragging us through the mud, "The Mullenix's are trying to steal these kids, what kind of person would take strange kids into their house anyway". (Maybe I have blogged about this, I don't remember). But anyway, to make a long story short, this lawyer said everyone else is to blame, mom isn't doing what she needs to do to get her kids back BUT that is really not her fault. Like I said, bad for us GREAT for mom.Well, we get this letter from Memphis Area Lawyers (last time we got one of these it was a letter from mom sent through the lawyer). Well, this letter is THICK. We just look at it. What NOW!!! Hesitantly, we open it. It is another court petition. Hearing date June 18th. Well, now we are confused, we do not go back to court until August. But then we read it. A petition that mom's lawyer to RELEASED from having to represent her. WHAT!!!!! Upon reading it, the petition states that Clara (the mother) refuses to do anything "council advices and renders council usless". So mom has this GREAT lawyer, one that is willing to sue everyone for her client but STILL cannot do what is requested of her. So we make the call to our social worker, what does this mean? What happens now? The social worker calls the lawyer. The lawyer tells her to have mom take a mental evaluation because she thinks she will be deemed mentally unable to care for children. How amazing is this!!! The very lawyer who is threatening to sue, saying we are stealing children, is now HELPING us! If that is not the providence of God then I do not know what is.Then we have a surprise visit from the DCS social worker, gotta love those!! Fortuantly we were all clothed and the house was clean. This social worker, who is not the one we usually deal with basically tells me that she does not know how much longer mom is going to be in the picture. No explaination, just that statement. SO, read into it what you want. We really will not know until we go back to court. So please keep praying. Prayers are working. I recieved the initial paper work, the report of where the children were and how they we reacting we they were taking into protective custody, I cannot put that information on the web BUT let me say it brought tears to my eyes. It was worse than I thought. The social worker asked Anne where she wanted to live today. Anne said with us. With her new mom. My heart goes out to them!!! AND, to make things EVEN better, for those of you who do not know autistic children do not eat well. They select down their foods. So Jason and I have be FIGHTING (literally) Jeffrey to start eating foods (remember mom had him on a bottle). Well he likes cereal, so I had been packing him cereal for lunch and giving him milk money every day. We decided this summer we are going to work on him eating sandwiches so I can pack him a normal lunch next year. Well, we tried one today. I made sure it was chicken (he loves chicken). He looked at it and looked at me and said "a sandwich". I thought, "oh no, let the fight begin." I told him it was chicken and he likes chicken. He said. "okay" and scarfed it down. I sat there with my mouth gapping open. He said he liked it. I told him he is getting another one for lunch tomorrow. He said okay. HURRAY!!! I am so proud of him. He is such a trooper. Being autistic with all these changes and learning new foods. He is doing well. And little Annie is such a doll and wants to be such a good girl wants to call me mom and asks me to call her, her daughter. She is so sweet. They both are. Thanks again for all your prayers!!

No comments: